John H. Ferguson Receipts, 1855-1892 – MS128
Citation: John H. Ferguson Receipts (MS128), Manuscript Collections, Portsmouth Athenaeum
Size: 1/2 Hollinger Boxes (.25 linear ft.)
Access: No restrictions
Processed by: Roland Goodbody, 2016
Scope and Content
Approximately two hundred receipts to John H. Ferguson, blacksmith and livery stable owner, in Portsmouth and Brookfield, NH.
John H. Ferguson was a blacksmith who lived variously at 6 Church Street (with Maria Ferguson, widow of Stephen Ferguson) and at 14 High Street in Portsmouth. He operated a black and white smithing business with Sewell W. Webber at 20 Bow Street in the early 1850s. His blacksmithing business was first on Market Street and then later at 80 State Street. Ferguson also ran a livery stable with William P. Burley at 29 Congress St. behind S. Ayers Avery’s Newspapers and Periodicals store.
He was born 1823 in New Hampshire and lived in Brookfield NH by 1880. He married Mary A. L. Ferguson in 1852 and they had four children: Ada, Nellie, Hattie, and George.
Folder 1 Business receipts, 1855-1865
Folder 2 Business receipts, 1867
Folder 3 Business receipts, 1868-1869
Folder 4 Business receipts, 1870
Folder 5 Business receipts, Jan-May 1871
Folder 6 Business receipts, Jun-Dec 1871
Folder 7 Business receipts, Jan-July 1872
Folder 8 Business receipts, Aug-Dec 1872
Folder 9 Business receipts, 1873
Folder 10 Business receipts, 1874-1877
Folder 11 Business receipts, 1878-1892
Folder 12 Business receipts, undated
Folder 12 Letter from J.P. Plumer, printer, July 22, 1874